Hot on the heels of releasing iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 to the public, Apple also updated macOS, tvOS, and watchOS for good measure.
As is par for the course with the iOS update, the latest software for the company’s other platforms bring quite a bit to the table as well. First, though, how to update. macOS 11.1 Big Sur, watchOS 7.2, and tvOS 14.3 are all free updates. They are available to download and install today. If you have automatic updates switched on, then compatible devices will download the software soon, and update overnight.
Here’s what’s new
We’ll just break down what’s new with each platform just below, because the majority of the new features are all available for each platform. We’ve included the changelings for macOS 11.1 Big Sur and watchOS 7.2 below as well, if you want to dig into the finer details.
macOS 11.1 Big Sur
- This update adds support for the new over-hear, premium headphones, the AirPods Max. The headphones went up for pre-order earlier this month, and they go on sale beginning Tuesday, December 15. Apple’s update to macOS 11.1 Big Sur means owners will be able to use the headphones without any issues right out of the box.
- There is a new Apple TV+ tab in the TV app.
- Apple News now has widgets to add to the Notification Center.
- The App Store now has privacy information section for apps. These new “nutrition labels” for apps will show customers the type of data and information these apps have access to at a glance.
- Apple’s new Apple ProRAW image format can be edited in the Photos app on macOS 11.1 Big Sur.
- And other smaller updates
macOS 11.1 Big Sur changelog
macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update 11.1 — Restart Required
macOS Big Sur 11.1 introduces support for AirPods Max, TV app enhancements, Apple News widgets, and privacy information on the App Store. This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac.
- Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
- High fidelity audio for rich sound
- Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
- Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
- Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
- Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
- An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
- Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
- Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
- Apple News widgets are now available in Notification Center
- New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
- In-game dashboard within Arcade games recommends new Arcade games to play
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
- New window options for iPhone and iPad apps let you switch between landscape and portrait orientations or expand a window to fill the entire screen
- Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
- Ecosia search engine option in Safari
- Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
- Health recommendations are provided in Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
This release also addresses the following issues:
- QuickTime Player might quit when opening a movie with a timecode track after upgrading from macOS Catalina
- Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center
- Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch
- Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models
- LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
With this update, Apple is focused on Fitness+ support for the fourth- and fifth-generation set-top box. After users update to tvOS 14.3, the Fitness+ app will show up as an app that can be launched.
Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t typically release a full changelog for tvOS updates, and that is the case this time around as well. As such, the only major new addition for the fourth- and fifth-generation Apple TV that we know of at the time of publication is support for Fitness+.
As is par for the course with the other software updates, the primary new addition is support for Fitness+. The Apple Watch is required to use the new subscription service (which retails for $9.99 per month), and watchOS 7.2 makes that possible. The new software also supports brand new cardio fitness notifications. So when your cardio fitness is low, the Apple Watch will let you know.
The Health app now supports checking your cardio fitness level as well.
The full changelog is below:
watchOS 7.2 includes new features and improvements, including Apple Fitness+, a personalized fitness experience powered by Apple Watch. Additional features include low cardio fitness notifications and support for braille displays. This update also contains performance improvements.
- A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
- Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
- Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
This update also includes the following features and improvements:
- Option to be notified when your cardio fitness is at a low level
- Ability to review your cardio fitness level based on your age and sex in the Health app on iPhone
- Atrial fibrillation classification at heart rates above 100 BPM now offered in the ECG app in most regions where the app is available
- Support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in Taiwan
- Support for braille displays with VoiceOver
- Support for Family Setup in Bahrain, Canada, Norway, and Spain (Cellular models of Apple Watch Series 4 or later and Apple Watch SE)
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: