If you have more than one HomePod and more than one person in your household, then you probably already know how to set up multiple HomePod users. This is great when different people want to play music or make a request from Siri.
But what if your HomePod doesn’t recognize someone’s voice? By setting up a Primary User on the HomePod, Siri will default to that Primary User when in doubt. This is also helpful if each person has a HomePod in their own space where they are the main user anyway. That way, recommendations for music and podcasts are tailored to that user.
Here’s how to set up a Primary User on your HomePod or HomePod mini.
Access the HomePod settings
You can set the Primary User for your HomePod in the Home app on either your iOS device or your Mac.
Set up a Primary User on iPhone and iPad
1) Find the HomePod icon on the Home or Rooms tab. Then press and hold the icon.
2) When the settings open, scroll down to the Music & Podcasts section. You may need to tap the gear icon to display all settings.
3) Tap Primary User and choose the person you want. Alternatively, you can choose HomePod Account which is the default for Apple Music and Podcasts.
You can then tap to go Back and hit X to close the settings for that HomePod.
Set up a Primary User on Mac
1) Find the HomePod icon on the Home tab or one of the Rooms on the left. Then right-click the icon and choose Settings.
2) When the settings open, go down to the Music & Podcasts section.
3) Click Primary User and choose the person you want. Again, you can choose HomePod Account to use the default for Apple Music and Podcasts.
You can click the X on the top right to close the HomePod settings.
Wrapping it up
The Primary User setting for your HomePod is one of those features you wouldn’t notice unless you happen to be perusing your HomePod settings which is how I came across it recently. So if you purchased a HomePod as a gift for someone in your home, remember this setting to make the speaker more suited to them.
For more, take a look at how to use the intercom feature on HomePod. And if you’re still thinking about buying one, take a look at our HomePod mini FAQs.