A new year, which means it’s time for TV manufacturers to unveil new TVs. And Sony‘s not about to start disappointing you in 2021, as it unveils a handful of new smart sets.
Today, Sony officially announced five new smart TVs, each coming in multiple sizes depending on what you need/want. Features vary, at least a little bit, but they all fall under the company’s BRAVIA XR branding. That means they are jam-packed with a range of features that are meant to improve the overall viewing experience, no matter what you’re watching (or playing with your Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5).
These smart TVs feature the standard connectivity options, including wired or wireless depending on your needs. They range in sizes from 50 inches all the way up to 100 inches. They also include support for Apple’s AirPlay 2, which means owners don’t need to use an Apple TV to stream content from their iPhone or other Apple devices straight to the TV. They also support HomeKit, which means you can use Siri to control elements of the TV, like the power, volume, and more.
At the time of the announcement, we don’t know the price points for any of the new sets just yet.
But, I’ll just get out of the way for a moment and let Sony tell you all of the major highlights of the new BRAVIA XR smart TVs they’re launching today:
- BRAVIA CORE™: In collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), BRAVIA CORE™ is where entertainment meets technology and was developed to add value and showcase unique Sony experiences. Pre-loaded on all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles2 and the largest IMAX Enhanced movie collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps3. Learn more about this collaboration here: https://www.sony.net/bravia-core
- Google TV: This lineup also introduces Google TV, a brand-new entertainment experience that brings together movies, shows, live TV and more from apps and subscriptions4 and organizes them just for you. Easily find something to watch with personalized recommendations and bookmark shows and movies to a single Watchlist to keep track of what to watch. Users can even add to their Watchlist from their phone or laptop with Google Search.
- HDMI 2.1 Compatibility: All BRAVIA XR TVs will feature HDMI 2.1 compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)5, Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and e-ARC, supporting higher resolutions and frame rates ideal for next-generation gaming.
- Sound-from-Picture Reality™: In addition to best-in-class picture quality, the new Cognitive Processor XR also offers incredible sound with Sound-from-Picture Reality™, which aligns the position of the sound with the images on the screen to offer a uniquely lifelike experience.
- Hands-Free Voice Function: With hands-free voice control built into Sony’s Google TVs6, you can set aside the remote and just use your voice to search for entertainment, get answers, and control the TV and smart home devices. Try saying “Hey Google, turn on the TV” or “Hey Google, what should I watch?”
- Smart Speaker Compatibility: With Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa7 enabled devices, you may cast and control videos from YouTube with Google Nest speakers8 or change the channel or volume with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices.
- Delivering the Creator’s Intent: The new models will continue to deliver the creator’s intent with Netflix Calibrated Mode, offering studio-quality Netflix content, and IMAX® Enhanced™, which features IMAX remastered picture and sound, as well as IMAX Enhanced Mode — fully optimized for playback of cinematic content.
You can expect to find these new features in all of the new sets, which is good that Sony is bringing the flagship elements to all sizes and ranges. And with full support for all the primary new selling features (VRR, ALLM, and 4K 120fps) for Microsoft‘s and Sony’s newest video game consoles, that’s also a win for potential owners, too.
Here are the new TVs:
- MASTER Series Z9J with 8K LED: Comes in either 85 inches or 75 inches
- MASTER Series A90J with 4K OLED: Comes in either 83 inches, 65 inches, and 55 inches
- A80J with 4K OLED: Comes in either 77 inches, 65 inches, and 55 inches
- X95J with 4K LED: Comes in either 85 inches, 75 inches, and 65 inches
- X92 with 4K LED: Comes in either 100 inches, 75 inches, 65 inches, 55 inches, or 50 inches.
Unfortunately, as mentioned above, we don’t know when, exactly these new TVs will become available. And we don’t know yet how much they will cost. Sony says that pricing and availability will be announced sometime this spring.
If you want to learn more about each TV and see the landing page for each, click on the links just above.
Are you looking to upgrade your TV this year?